GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I had installed headrest dvd players that are factory chevy

Customer Question

i had installed headrest dvd players that are factory chevy units. i tapped into the pink wire running down lower drivers side pilliar of my drivers side. i believe it is ignition 1 . tonight somehow the wire must have gounded out and my car shutdow. now it will not turn over. i have all lights and radio.etc.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your name please?

With this issue, has you checked both the fuse blocks for bad fuses yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have cheecked some of the fuses. is there a certain fuse or relay that is for ignition or crank on the car?

No, and that’s what makes this difficult. Because the integration of the computers, and the basic design that uses only a 2 amp fuse for the ignition switch, knowing which system you actually tapped into is difficult. Everything is controlled or powered by relays or the Body Control Module (BCM) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM). This means we need to check all fuses, irregardless of the label.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Do I need to worth about the relays?

No, I have no worries that there is a bad relay, I suspect you popped only a fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Will go check them. Only the two fuse boxes ?

yes, under hood and under dash both on passengers side.

Looking through the schematics, I would look close at the PCM IGN, TRANS, REAR CAMERA, AIRBAG, all in the underhood fuse block.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked fuses under hood and they seem fine. im going to check under dash now. i checked the wire that i tapped into for the power on dvd, and it still has power. it seems like the security is enabled somehow, and wont let it turn over

OK, if you find no fuses out, then do the reset below.
Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.
The emphasis is touching the wires together after removed from the battery not just removing them form the battery .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We found a 2 amp fuse inside the car fuse box that said power and we tested it and replaced it and the car started. We are charging the battery right now.

Perfect. I was certain you had a bad fuse somewhere. Is there more information that I can get you today?