Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2000 silverado (new style). I replaced the outside

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, I have a 2000 silverado (new style). I replaced the outside door handle on driver side, operated perfectly until I drove the truck to the store. When I stopped, the door will now not open from either outside or inside. I pulled back the top of the door panel (since door is closed) and can see the latch mechanism. It seems to be operating normal, but the door will just not open. Any suggestions on how to release the latch? I have tried pushing the linkage further down than what it already travels, but no luck.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's pretty much everything
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Try operating the lock electronically and mechanically several times and see if the door then opens from either inside or outside.If it does then the door panel needs removed and linkage inspected leading from the lock rod and handles to see if it needs adjusted or if it is hanging up at all.If this does not work to open the door let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, yes I tried that numerous times. I also tried spraying wd-40 around the latch and then operating all the linkages again. I can still see the mechanism operating, it just won't release.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you reach into the latch area with your hand,coat hanger or similar to try and pull up on the lock rod to see if it moves any further then see if the door opens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have moved it forceably both up and down while operating the door handle.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like the latch itself has failed inside the door.This is unfortunate as I have seen before a few times and usually requires removal of the door paneling with the door closed like this which usually ends up in damaging the door panel itself to where it needs repaired or replaced after the latch is removed.In some cases this involves a lock smith to cut off the door latch striker to then open the door to remove the latch so it can be replaced.This does sound like what is at fault here for this issue.

Unfortunately these are the only options I have on this here myself.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete