Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have a 2006 chev Silverado 1500 5.3 engine. I want to

Customer Question

I have a 2006 chev Silverado 1500 5.3 engine. I want to change spark plugs and wires, and change the left side valve cover. What do I have to do for precautions when I disconnect the negative battery cable. RAP, and disabling of anti-theft audio system, on star etc.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

There is no need to disconnect the battery for this repair/maintenance. I wouldn't go to that trouble, personally, because there is no danger of anything bad happening electrically.

If you do want to disconnect it for your own reasons, you don't need to worry about a procedure. The worst that will happen is that you'll need to reset your clock, everything else will work just fine.