Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

My daughter has a 2010 Equinox and told me the transmission

Customer Question

My daughter has a 2010 Equinox and told me the transmission does not want to shift in drive as she speeds up. Just started this morning.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

I'm not clear on the concern. It drives forward, but it doesn't go into all of the gears, is that what's going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is telling me that in drive it stayed in low great and she had to drive at 20 miles an hour.

OK, did she say whether the check engine light is illuminated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is

Alright. The transmission is in "limp home" mode, it's actually doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

This mode is due to a fault that the computer has detected, so the computer has commanded only one forward gear as long as this fault is present. It could be a number of things, from a faulty switch or solenoid to a transmission failure that has produced an incorrect gear ratio. Point is, diagnosis of this is going to start with a good scan tool and retrieving trouble codes, then formulating a strategy from there.

I assume that you are not near the vehicle, by the way you're talking about her. Is she able to get it to a local repair shop to have the codes retrieved, or is this something you'll be able to do in the near future?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She maybe. Can anyone beside a dealer do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dealer closed on sat

Yes, a good independent shop can do this as well. I would tell her to avoid chain stores, like Sears or Midas or Pep Boys, and look for a well-recommended local repair shop. I can help refer you to one, if you like. Where is she located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her car at the moment is inSeverna Park, md. Are you saying it is ok to drive in an emergent without causing more problems?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She lives in Arnold md.

It is OK to drive it like this, although she can't get on the highway with it or anything like that. "Limp home" means just about that, it's meant to make the car still mobile, but you need to get it serviced sooner than later.

Odds of finding a good repair shop are much better on Monday, most quality shops are closed on Saturdays, or have limited Saturday hours. She can make the short trip home just fine, keeping an eye on engine speed.

I don't have a very good selection of repair shops in that area, the dealer would be a good choice due to her location, plus she will have a day or so to ask her friends and neighbors for a recommendation.

Have her give a call to Revell in Arnold, they're open until 3 and they have a good reputation. (###) ###-#### Perhaps they can get a look at it today for her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. Could I call you , if after I talk to her I have other questions or concerns?

If you'd like to talk on the phone, you can make a phone call request. I'll generally get an email notification of that, and then we can arrange it. You may also reply here if you have questions later on down the road, and I should get an email notification of that as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

.