GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 96 geo tracker I replaced the head gasket. It

Customer Question

I have a 96 geo tracker I replaced the head gasket. It started runs rough but was leaking fuel from the fuel injector pressure damper. Real hard part to find, thought I didn't really need it so plugged it, and car won't start. Finally found a replacement one but still won't start. It ran when it leaked fuel from there. But what could be wrong now. It seems like it's not getting fuel. I have no clue now. Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

I would start by looking at fuel pressure. It's tough to attach a fuel pressure gauge to these engines unless you have the correct adapters, but I would do that. Look for 36-43 psi fuel pressure, that's what it takes to make the engine run. The mere presence of fuel doesn't mean anything, it has to have good pressure.

Have you been able to verify spark or fuel injector pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a vacuum tester, it says it test fuel pump pressure. Is that what I use or should I get something different? I have spark, it does turn over now but won't stay running. Should I do the fuel injector pulse test? I'll have to get that tester. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm sure a dumb question, but someone said my mass air flow was bad. That couldn't be why could it? I'm going to do the test you said this afternoon and see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok did both test and got 40psi on the fuel and all good on the injectors

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been away.

Fuel pressure is good, so we can go past that confidently. It has spark, and does it run? You say it "turns over" now, does that mean it starts? Is it smoking when it runs or anything like that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts but dies right away and it sputtering. I can't keep it running more than a second. Today I was trying to start it and it wouldn't. No smoke.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still away, I haven't heard from you.