Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2009 chevy Colorado that will not start unless I

Customer Question

I have a 2009 chevy Colorado that will not start unless I use a charger in the START mode. Brand new optima red top. Starter just clicks like a dead battery. Once charger is hooked up it starts fine.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** sounds like your starter has failed and the extra voltage/amperage from battery charger is over powering worn starter allowing it to work. With a multi meter verify both wires at starter are getting at least 11v while trying to start, if so this means the starter needs to be replaced. It is possible the new battery is problem too, you can monitor battery voltage while trying to start and if it drops below 11v when trying to start this would mean battery has a problem. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I load tested the battery about
ND it was fine. Even tried two optima batteries in paralllel. Only thing that works is the higher voltage (16 vdc) from the start pak. Measured the voltage going down to the starter and it was 12+. Did not measure at the solenoid.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Then it sounds like starter is the problem, verify it is getting at least 11v while trying to start and if so then replace. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.