Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

1998 chevy s10 4.3 low miles 18,000 truck is in 4x4 will not

Customer Question

1998 chevy s10 4.3 low miles 18,000 truck is in 4x4 hi will not shift into high will shift into 4x4 low and back to4x4 high,i have done code clearing and no codes present did test for codes before clearing,have replace vacuum switch top of t/case,and motor
on side of t/case,tried switch assembly with one for other truck,when you push 2wheel high t/case makes noise like it is shifting but does not change
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing can be caused by any of the following,

• Encoder Switch
  • Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM)

In order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing, I have enclosed the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/4X4%20Dec%205.pdf

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ron thanks for the help,it will be later today,before i can do the checks you wanted and i will give you feed back on what i find,
Don McCleaf
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

No problem, hopefully the steps will help you get this issue resolved. Im here if need be.