GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2010 Chevy Malibu Tail lights and license plate light do not

Customer Question

2010 Chevy Malibu
Tail lights and license plate light do not turn on. brake lights work. checked fuses and the diagram is a little tough to interpret but fuses appear to be ok.
where is the short in the wires?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

you have checked all fuses in rear fuse box? Have you scanned for codes in the body control module? And here is a crazy question have you checked all bulbs? I have had several cars here lately come in and have both taillight bulbs blown same time you use to never see that. I reviewed the wiring and could find no point that I could pick out because you say the brake lights work, they share the same connecotrs and wiring as running lights, and the rear shares the same relay and activation that the front does. I would pull the housing and check all bulbs real good and double check the fuses. If you don't see anything let me know and we will just have to start pulling stuff out locating the connectors and finding the open wire, it want be a short or we would be blowing fuses, and we shouldnt have a component problem becasue the front and rear are turned on by same relay and fuse.