GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004.5, 2500HD duramax. I just bought the duramax

Customer Question

I have a 2004.5, 2500HD duramax. I just bought the duramax and it was running great. I went to get in my truck, and the dome light came on without the key in the ignition. I then went to put my key in the ignition and the dash lights came on. Turned the
key, and the lights turned off. The truck won't turn over or no clicks. I then got a friend to try and jump the truck, then the same thing happened. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am cam. My first suspicion is a bad battery, not bad as in dead but bad as in shorted internally. This will result in what you gave as your issue.

What we need to do first is remove both batteries and have them tested. Most parts stores will test for free. This must be the first step because ANY future testing will be flawed without having rock solid batteries. Even if they look new, still test them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Batteries are good to go. Tested today, and they are in good condition.

Tested how? Sorry to ask but many come back saying they are good but tested at home or with a charger only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought it to an auto value before I bought the truck and they were tested there.

Ok Do you have a test light? If so then it is best to test at the small stud at the starter when the key is in the start position. If there is no power there, then we need to start checking other places such as the starter relay, or the neutral safety switch. If there is power at that stud then you likely need a new starter if the battery and cables to the starter from the battery are good.