GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Lifting body on 2000 chevy tahoe so I can access all brake

Customer Question

Lifting body on 2000 chevy tahoe so I can access all brake lines and fuel lines. Body bolts removed and the back of the tahoe will not raise - Is there something I am missing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

HI there, I am Cam.

ALL of the body bolts, front included need to be removed. The fenders are right to the body so even those will need to be removed. Are you having troubles lower the tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removed all body bolts.. its like the back end is stuck? Are you saying fenders need to be removed?

You would need to in order to make sure you don't bend them. IT may simply be stuck, there are 5 sets of bolts each side, and with that age, I Am thinking they are rusted into place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The front is raising up fine - its the back. I have removed all the bolts. When I jack the back of the body it lifts the frame off the jack stands in the back. Was hoping I was missing something - been trying to lift this body for 2 days now.

Lets doubt check the locations of the mounts. Reference the picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got them all

Running boards? Wiring harness? Ground cables? Fuel filler neck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no running boards.. fuel filler neck removed - took care of wiring harness

OK, Can you pry between when you have the weight on the jack and the frame just starts to lift off the frame? I am wondering if its simply the weight of the engine and such and you removing the weight of the body is lifting it up off your jack stands.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I found the problem - there are 2 more body bolts on the back crossmember next to the spare tire.

Not shown in the picture I sent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the picture only showed 5 on each side of the body. I got under the truck looking to see what might be holding it down and found 2 more next to the spare tire on the crossmember. I removed them and now the body will raise as I expected it to.

Perfect.