GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have 2011 chevy truck 2500 with a plow when plowing the

Customer Question

Hi i have 2011 chevy truck 2500 with a plow when plowing the volt meter drops to 12/13 volts and plow and heater slows down the plow pulls 10 volts the alt wont start to charage unless i shut truck off and restart it or if i get rpm at 2000 rpm now iam told this charging is controlled by the pcm is there any thing i can do thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!

I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

With your plow and truck, did you add a second battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a 200 amp battery and the same thing

OK, when it was installed, did you connect both batteries directly together or did you run the ground of the second directly to ground?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the second battery i ran a ground wire to the block and i ran a battery cable from the alt to the second battery if that helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ran a + wire from one battery to the other battery and the ground from the second battery to the block and a wire from the alt to the sec battery so the sec bat has two hot wires to it

Ok, my concern is the current sensor if yours has it. Does yours have a current sensor on the original battery ground cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i really dont know whart would it look like

It’s a small round device that goes around the negative cable near the battery if present.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me 2 min i can check ok

ok, if it does not, lets do a reset to change the computers reading on the state of charge.

Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.
If you have 2 batteries, then remove both and touch only one set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i have a blk ground wire that has a fat wire thats grounded to the block and a smaller wire i followed down the frame rail under the front of truck i dont know where it goes

OK, so it would be near the battery. So its not there. Lets reset it and double check all grounds and connections. Remove and check condition, use star washers. I am thinking its just a bad connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
reset what

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so you say to take the cables of and touch the neg and the pos cables together for 10 sec

Yes call disconnected from the batteries, both batteries, this resets the computers

Ok so that tells me then your issue is simply that your charging system is not able to keep up to your plow needs. I would look to add a second alternator to help with the load.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I understand thank u now do you think when I hook the other alternator up wont it run from the same part of the pcm as the other alt thanks for your help

You would need to run a wire from the PCM to the port for the second alternator and program it to run a second alternator. It would need 1 wire not 2 control wires.