GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2009 Chevy Impala LTZ. The car needs to be jumped

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Chevy Impala LTZ. The car needs to be jumped every morning and actually needs to be jumped every three hours. I have replaced the battery twice and put a new alternator in. I have brought the car to 3 different mechanics and no one seems to be able to figure out the problem. Any ideas? Thanks, Sean
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bandit replied 1 year ago.

hello sean, my name is ***** ***** for using just answer i will be glad to help u today i see u are having a issue with your impalla, i need to ask u this when u have taken the vehicle in has the shop checked for a voltage draw?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike. Yes and nothing. They thought it may be the radio, but it wasn't. No check engine codes. This just doesn't make sense. I am actually a car dealer and it is a vehicle I sold to a customer. Thanks, Sean
Expert:  Bandit replied 1 year ago.

ok sean, at this point what needs to happen is, the person or technician that is going to look at this for u needs to install a digital volt meter between the negative ground cable, and the ground terminal at battery, put the meter on 10 amp scale remove the keys from the vehicle shut all doors wait 30 min for all computers to go into sleep mode at this point u will see what the draw is, if it is any more than 40 milliamps it is to much, once u find that there is a draw u need to start removing each fuse while watching the meter once u find out what fuse it is u can then figure out whats all on that circuit, then each item on circuit will have to be disconnected 1 at a time to find culpret. Being that the battery is dead every 3 hours that tells me there is a large draw from something, so this is what would need to be done.

Expert:  Bandit replied 1 year ago.

there is many electrical components that would cause a draw like this. Some common areas of concern: add-on accessory, power seat switch, vanity mirror lamps, Body Control Module (BCM) blower motor radio alternator dome lights glove box lights door switch etc this is why a test with a dvm needs to be done

Expert:  Bandit replied 1 year ago.

this type of a problem is electrical related and could take hours to diagnose even with the correct tech looking at it.

Expert:  Bandit replied 1 year ago.

what type of garage have u been taking this vehicle to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to see my mechanic tonight. I will speak to you tomorrow. Thanks, Sean
Expert:  Bandit replied 1 year ago.

sounds good sean, looking forward to hear back from u. mike