GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 97 Chevy 350 vortec suddenly decided not to take any

Customer Question

My 97 Chevy 350 vortec suddenly decided not to take any gas..it will run at 10mph as long as you don't press the gas pedal,if you do,it will die..this truck is one problem after another.I just replaced the fuel pump regulator which made it crank and run good.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge and is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't even know what that is.I'm an old school shade tree mechanic.yes the check engine light is on.and the batt.light came on and stayed on this morning,when this started.I just put a regulator switch in it.which made it start cranking right.use to have to spray it half an hour.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this email address will work better for me.thank
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

OK. You'll need a fuel pressure gauge here. You can borrow one for free from Autozone, Advance, etc. It attaches on the fuel rail on top of the engine, very easy. Fuel pressure must be 55-62psi. What you're describing is a classic low fuel pressure situation, it's definitely where I'd start looking.