Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Russ, I recently changed out a water pump on a 2.4L 2001

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Russ, I recently changed out a water pump on a 2.4L 2001 Cavalier. Put everything back together with no leaks, but now the motor idles rough and shakes horribly at low rpms. I think the timing might be off. I've now removed the cam chain covers again to see.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: How do I know if the timing is off?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

This image shows the timing marks for the crank and cams.