Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

The glow plugs do not light up when I turn key on. something

Customer Question

Customer: the glow plugs do not light up when I turn key on. something clinks on but only about every minute instead of usual about every 5 or 10 seconds. is the relay bad? 1983 ***** ***** boy swinger with Chevrolet engine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the glow plugs do not light up with tester with key on. what else.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like a typical glow plug relay failure. The glow plug relay is self contained, it works based on the temperature that it picks up from the aluminum heatsink. There is no input to it that makes it work, it should just work on its own.

Check to make sure you don't have any shorted or open plugs. Replace any plugs that are open or shorted, then replace the glow plug relay.