Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

When trying to fill my 2003 chev. 2500 express van with gas

Customer Question

when trying to fill my 2003 chev. 2500 express van with gas the gas pump keeps shutting off. the only way to get gas into the tank is to fill very, very slow.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

This is likely going to be a problem with the evaporative emissions system. The vapors from the tank are supposed to be pushed into the charcoal canister under the van, and burned later, instead of being allowed to escape to the atmosphere. If you have a blocked vent valve or a kinked hose, that will affect your ability to fill the tank because the air can't escape from the tank while filling, and it trips the nozzle.

I don't know if you want to work on this yourself or if you're going to have a mechanic do it, but I'd be looking at the EVAP vent valve under the van, making sure it's not stuck closed, and blowing through the vent line to make sure it's not blocked. Spiders like to build nests in these lines, for some reason. A shot of compressed air through that line sometimes removes a blockage and makes everything work again the way it should.