Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 2005 cavalier with a headlight issue. I have no

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** I have a 2005 cavalier with a headlight issue. I have no daytime running lights and can only get headlights if I turn on the high beams. Even at that point, I have one good light and a very dim headlight on the right. I have replaced the bulbs on both sides with the same outcome
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I suspect the bcm but I am not sure if that will solve the issue.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait however I think I would reather reserch the issue myself...I am very limited on funds.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shaggy, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description you may have a couple of problems. Before condemning the BCM there are some other areas to look first. Lets start with the Daytime Running Lights (DRL). Check the headlight fuses by removing each fuse and inspecting (the circuit can back feed and show power on both sides of a blown fuse). Check the DRL resistor located behind the right headlamp (Gray wire and Black wire go to the resistor). Ohm test the resistor and replace if open. Also make sure the parking brake is not set. If you need the service procedure for the DRL resistor let me know.

For the low beams ground the Dark Blue wire at either low beam lamp. Check for both left and right low beam lamps to come on. If the lamps come on, remove the ground wire at the lamp and ground the Dark Blue wire at the headlamp switch. If grounding at the lamps turns the lamps on, and grounding at the switch does not check the Dark Blue wire for an open wire from the lamps to the headlamp switch. If the low beams come on by grounding the Dark Blue wire at the lamps and and at the switch, the switch is not providing a path to ground. If you need a circuit diagram let me know.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.