GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My geo tracker has lights inside and out but will not start.

Customer Question

Customer: My geo tracker has lights inside and out but will not start. no clicking sound, will not crank. replaced battery (old one was 8 years old) and battery terminal connections. thought it might be starter relay but can not find it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: above about sums it up
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

I would begin this diagnosis at the starter itself: use a test light on the small solenoid wire terminal, have an assistant attempt to start it, and see if this terminal is getting power when the key is turned to START.

If it has power, you need a new starter. If not, then we can work backwards from there to find out why not.