Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

My 2009 Tahoe keeps blowing the radio fuse

Customer Question

my 2009 Tahoe keeps blowing the radio fuse
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

How often does the fuse open? Is this something you can replicate fairly easily, or does it take awhile for the fuse to open again after replacement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it usually blows when I was the truck and then after a day I can reinstall another fuse but after it rained a couple of days ago it blows any fuse that I install

I assume we're talking about the fuse that's labeled RDO, is that correct?

This fuse only goes to the radio. What I would do is disconnect the electrical connector from the back of the radio, and see if the fuse still opens. That will eliminate the radio as the cause, and will point to a very high likelihood that the short circuit is somewhere in the wiring between the fuse block and the radio. This can, of course, be a daunting thing to find, so we start with easy things first and go from there: disconnect radio and see if it still acts up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but if it was the radio why only when it gets wet will it blow

A water leak at the windshield would likely explain that. Water can get past the windshield urethane seal and get behind the dash, causing any number of weird problems like this. If it comes to doing some disassembly to find the short, I would have an eye out for signs of dampness under or behind the dash, too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok finally had a chance to pull out the radio ,I see no signs of any bare wires anywhere and no water leaks and fuse still blowed with radio unplugged

If the fuse still opens, then that circuit is shorted somewhere in the harness between that connector and the fuse block. This can obviously be tough to find. I'd give it the old college try, putting my eyes and hands on that harness and seeing if it's rubbing against a metal bracket anywhere or something like that. If I were unable to find the short, I'd be inclined to just replace the circuit. From the RDO fuse, it's just one wire that goes to the radio, and nowhere else. Running a new wire is a quick, convenient, and perfectly legitimate fix for a short circuit you can't locate.