Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

WE HAVE A 1 TON DUMP TRUCK CHEVY WITH A DURA MAX DIESEL IN

Customer Question

WE HAVE A 1 TON DUMP TRUCK CHEVY WITH A DURA MAX DIESEL IN IT REPLACED SENDING UNIT FRONT STILL WONT WORK ALSO CKED ALL FUSES
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

96 trucks did not have Duramax diesels. You either have the wrong year, or the wrong engine. I can help you with this, but we need to start with the right information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK SORRY IT IS A 1996 10 VIN IS A T WHICH IS A 1996 AND YES ITS A 6.5 DIESEL THIS IS A DUMP TRUCK I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A DURAMAX

I'd be getting to the fuel pump balance module, which is mounted on the frame near the front fuel tank, just about under the rear of the cab.

The fuel level sensors connect to this, and the gauge signal originates from there. I am attaching a schematic so you can see how it works, you should be able to get to this connector and run the appropriate tests to find out what's wrong. I have had to replace these modules in the past, and they're not cheap, but make sure the inputs are correct, that you have power and ground to it, etc. before condemning it.