Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a chevy blazer 98 4.3 motor i changed the ECM the

Customer Question

i have a chevy blazer 98 4.3 motor i changed the ECM the blazer had a missing 2,5 cyl i changed every thing you can think of but the injetters so i just changed those same thing so my friend who own a shop said its you ecm so i got one from kragen got it flash put it in now when you try to start it it starts and died so i put the older one in it runs but misses so i put the new back in starts and died what do you it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

when the computers are changed the theft system needs to be relearned

following this here will relearn it and it should take @ 30 minutes to do

1. Insure the ignition key is in the ON position.
  2. Clear all EVO/PASSLOCK(TM) module and VCM/PCM DTCs.
  3. Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).
  4. Wait 10 minutes . Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:
    • If the PASSLOCK(TM) sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.
    • If the EVO/PASSLOCK(TM) module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.
    • If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.
    • If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.
  1. The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds .
  3. Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the PASSLOCK sensor, EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM. The new password ***** ***** on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did everything it still does it starts and died started and dieds
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

does the security light stay on with the key on?

with the new computer