Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

TRUCK CRANKS OVER AND STARTS SECOND AND DIES THEN IF I

Customer Question

TRUCK CRANKS OVER AND STARTS FOR A SECOND AND DIES THEN IF I CONTINUE TO CRANK IT IT WILL JUST KEEP CRANKING WITH NO EFFORT TO START.IF I TURN THE KEY ON AND OFF A FEW TIMES I HERE THE FUEL PUMP RUN EVERY TIME ,THEN I CRANK IT AND IT WILL START AND RUN FOR A SECOND AND DIE,AS IF IT WAS NOT GETTING FUEL, I CHECKED FOR SPARK ITS GOT IT.I ALSO PULLED A PLUG WIRE AND HAD SOMEONR START IT AND WACHED IT SPARK ALL THE WAY TILL THE MOTOR DIED.ONCE AGAIN IT WILL ONLY RUN FOR A SECOND OR TWO.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Is the security light on or flashing when starting the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now that you said that I noticed it came on for a few seconds while I was driving it a couple weeks ago . then I haven't needed to drive it for about a week then I went to drive it ,then it wouldn't start, and now here I am asking you
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Try the relearn procedure listed below. Let me know if it works for you.

1. Insert ignition key and turn to the “ON” position. Do not attempt to start the engine. Leave the key in the “ON” position for approximately 11 minutes. The security light will be steady on or flashing for the 11-minute period. Do not proceed to Step 2 until the security light turns off or stops flashing.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds.

5. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes for a third time.

6. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds for a third time.

7. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position for 30 seconds.

8. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

9. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts and runs, the relearn is complete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im doing procedure now what if it doesn't work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DID NOT WORK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOW WHAT
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Next step will be to test fuel pressure. Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the test port on the engine. Cycle key on. Fuel pressure should be 55-62 psi with the key on, engine off. If fuel pressure is lower than specified, the fuel pump will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check it tmro and let you know thank u
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Will look forward to your reply tomorrow.