Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 2005 Equinox with intermittent start issues, turns

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 Equinox with intermittent start issues, turns over but won't start. I see online it is a common issue and a voluntary recall was done on the pcm/ecm. I think I have the same problem but my VIN number is ***** lower number than the recall covers. I took it to the dealer last year and they could not duplicate the problem. It happened again and I started tapping on the relays under the hood to see if any were sticking and then it worked fine for a while but now it's back. Maybe I have a bad relay in that box under the hood?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ron H.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN # *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It usually starts after 5-10 tries
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

you need 3 things for the engine to run, spark, fuel pressure and compression. either spark or fuel pressure is your issue.

I would start by checking for fuel pressure when it does not start. if you do not have a pressure tester, you can rent one from a parts store, you can spray some carb cleaner into the air filter and see if it starts and stalls. that will tell us if it is a fuel delivery issue.

In the mean time, I will look for TSB for this issue.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roy thanks for the reply,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try the carb cleaner or starting fluid? next time it happens. When it starts it does run fine just fyi.Ron
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

let me know

Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out??

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roy, the problem does not happen all the time and this is my mothers car. She only drives maybe once or twice a week so with that in mind I went to start it the other day and it did not start, after the second failed attempt I tried the carb cleaner and it still did not start, I tried it again and then it started. So now I am not convinced the fluid helped since it took two tries, but the next couple times it happens I will try the fluid again and see if it improves or decreases the number of times to start which is usually 4-6 times, but like I said sometimes it starts just fine. I will keep you posted. I may try tonight when I get home..
Thanks!
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, it sounds like you have a fuel delivery issue. you should rent a tester from a parts store and monitor the pressure when it wont start

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roy, the past few times it has started just fine so I have not been able to determine why it fails only sometimes. Maybe it won't fail anymore but I doubt it. Anyway I appreciate your help, have a great weekend!
Ron H.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

thanks, ***** *****

Roy