GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 2006 6.6 lost power in at least one cylinder Started

Customer Question

My 2006 6.6 lost power in at least one cylinder Started smoking black smoke and has a loud ticking noise .
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Water temp and oil pressure was normal
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Sorry to hear about this issue. My first thought is a failed injector. So to start with, do you have a scanner that can read the codes that are set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I would have to drive it to town(tenmiles)

Ok, that presents a problem then. If you have it running, can you take a Long screw driver and hold the handle to your ear and put the tip on the back of each injector like a stethoscope and see which has the most noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that. If one or more of the injectors r bad will that be the noicey one?

Yes, I am 99% certain the loud ticking is an injector knock from the bad injector.

The issue you will face is replacing it. That you can do, no problem but programming the flow code into the computer requires a scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks , Im relived to here that . I was afraid it was more serious.

No, everything your describing sounds like an injector. These engines are rock solid. Your year I have not heard of any issues with mechanically in the engine.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer OK to Excellent service and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have.
Please know that the only compensation for my time spent assisting you is when you provide that rating.