GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

II am trying to help my son get s 1994 Blazer with a 6.5

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** II am trying to help my son get his 1994 Blazer with a 6.5 electronic diesel injection pump to start. When he bought it had a Greasel package on it. He did not want tosue it so he took it off. The truck ran when it came in but since the grease kit was taken off it has not srarted. Has fuel to the injection pump (hot wired the fuel pump lead at the oil pressure switch) cracked thebleed screw loose at top of filter and fuel comes squirting right out. Checked fuel shut off solenoid and it clicks,also checked the power to it when cranking with a test light , it dims some but stays lit . Ecm fuse is good, don't see wires that need hooked up. Do you know inside the injection pump for the fuel shutoff system when the solenoid clicks does it just move away from the linkage and a internal spring has to do the job of moving the fuel on linkage and when the solenoid s dengerized the spring on the solenoid is stronger and takes over and moves the linkage to off? The reason I ask this is that is the way it was on the mechanical pumps and if the linkage got sticky ( like maybe it would running grease for fuel ) maybe that could be what is wrong with his. This has been while in the process and it sat around for before the kit was taken off, maybe it got sticky in the meantime . I tried to take the solenoid off, there is a hex on top of it but would not turn loose, thought I would break it off.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The email I sent you was mine at home . I am not there use this email to reach me ***@******.*** or call me at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

The electronic pump is what killed the 6.5 one of the worst decisions gm ever made if I had a dollar for every one I have pulled off. Sounds like u have all the requirements for operation. Inside the pump is where the electronics are there is an optic wheel and if it gets even a miniscule amount of debris or fuel sludge it's over no pumping. Pull the pump off take to pump shop. I hope I have answered your question, if not please allow me to as your satisfaction is very important to me. My name is ***** ***** sadly I am all to familiar with your situation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the problem I'm having is there seems to be no power at the red wire leading to the solenoid in the rear of the pump. checked with a voltmeter. is there another way to check besides touching the ends at the pump.

The red wire receives a 0 to 12 volt pulse while cranking

This should help