rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Bob, how do I test (diagnose ) fuel mapping sensor? I am

Customer Question

Hi Bob, how do I test (diagnose ) fuel mapping sensor? I am told this may be the problem with the radical performance on my 89 chevy 1500 p/u. I don't have high end acceleration. The vehicle sputters and bucks and acts as I am not getting adequate fuel.
Thanks for your help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

First check the fuel pressure to be between 14 and 17 PSI, then check the volume of a pint in 30 seconds. Check for any stored codes and check the MAP sensor voltage with and without the vacuum line connected.

Thanks, Ron