JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

How much will I see a degrade in fuel economy by putting a

Customer Question

How much will I see a degrade in fuel economy by putting a 4" suspension lift and 35" tires on a new 2015 Chevy silverado (originally spec'ed for 16 city and 22 hwy)?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

anytime you go with bigger tires. Your truck has the right tires and gearing to get max mpg from the factory so changing it will have a negative effect. However, regearing to compensate for bigger tires will help, but that is another expense that is up to you. Regearing will also help get your power back that you lose with the new different gearing and weight of bigger tires, but it is not cheap so most people can't justify the expense.

Weather you get a mud terrain or an all terrain tire will effect MPG also, mud terrains will have a worse effect.

With 35" tires you can probably expect to lose 2-3 or so MPG's is my guess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the typical cost of regearing for the bigger tires? Your other answer to me regarding the affect the bigger tires and lift have on the transmission said it "shouldn't" affect the transmission. What exactly does regearing do besides getting the power back?

changing gears is generally a 3000 dollar or so job and it changes the rpm and power band to compensate for the bigger tires... Abuse and lack of maintenance and high atf temps are the biggest killer to a automatic gear box

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you