K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

I have a 2000.chevy.express vampire 4.3 v6 it shifts

Customer Question

I have a 2000.chevy.express vampire 4.3 v6 it shifts throughout all gears but when you step on the gas it kinda falls on it face until you let up on gas then goes but if push down on gas seam to lead up no power transmission is not slipping changed both shift solenoids in tranny
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

are there any codes set in the computer ?

when it does this is the transmission in 1st gear ?

is there a chance the issue is not the transmission and more so a low power or bogging down of the engine power ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light is not on I can shift it manually out of overdrive to third but when u step on gas it has no power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it possible be throttle position sensor?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

i am wondering if our issue is an engine power issue v/s a transmission issue

a TPS would set a code

is the fuel filter newer on this ?

if you remove the front O2 sensor out before the cat and take it for a quick ride will the power come back ?

it will be a little loud with the O2 sensor out but this is just for testing for a restricted cat converter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pump and filter were both.replaced about 6 months ago
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

see if the power comes back with the O2 sensor out in front of the cat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that and get back to u in about 1/2 hour
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

sure thing

i am leaning more so to the issue just being the engine having low or power

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No different with 02 sensor remove loss of power when stepping on.gas spits and spiders until you let up on gas
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you connect a fuel pressure gauge and see what the fuel pressure is reading key ON engine OFF ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No don't have one cans see if can borrow one from parts store
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

see what the pressure is also remove and clean the MAF and see if the power comes back after you clean it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When in park there is no loss of power when reving engine just seems like it when under load
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

since the exaust id not restricted we need to be sure fuel pressure is good and the MAF is clean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I use to clean maf?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

MAF spray cleaner or carb cleaner

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I drive it easy it seems to run ok until I step down on gas pedal it will go through all the gears with.no bogging down until u try to pass.or pick up speed
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, was just wanting to see if you still needed help with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I disconnect maf sensor and drive it would that help me to determine if is bad no check engine light on
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

yes, sometimes the maf will not set the check engine light. Let me know how that goes and we can work further if needed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took maf out ran down road pretty good until you step on little hesitation would not drop down in passing gear
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** you have the recurring problem with it not running well under wide open throtlle. Do you have a multi meter handy so we could check throtle position sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I am going to get a.an maf and tps change them and see what happens maybe put a fuel pressure reg. Also
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, let me know how things go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have on let pull dash.and get back to u
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to remove ps to test it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check tps with multimeter
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay. No need to remove it.You need to unplug it. You want to set your meter to ohms and place one lead on the connector the gray wire plugged in to it and the other where the dark blue wire pluged in.

You then need to move the throtle lever and watch the change on the meter. It should never read infinity or open circuit and should be smooth to full throttle.

let me know what you find and we can work further

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned maf installed new tps runs smoothly through all gears if I ease in to passing gear seems ok but if I put to much into gat a hesitation then have to back off an go again
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear it's running better. The passing gear hesitation (wide open throttle) may be a fuel pressure/flow issue. I think the previous expert mentioned it and I would use a fuel pressure gauge while driving to see how that looks. The only spec GM give is 60-66 with key on and engine off. If you're driving and see a big dip below what you have key on engine off I would start by replacing the fuel filter if you haven't already.

This van has the CPI injector system (spider) which used one injector and poppet valves. They can get problometic and the poppets can leak/stick causing issues.

I'd drive it for a bit and see how it does with the fuel pressure gauge installed and go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pump and.filter changed about 6 months ago in. I will try the fuel pressure check and get back to you
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I'll be around.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not had a chance to do fuel pressure test yet. I will let u know something by tomorrow thanks. Paul
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

No rush, I'll be ready when you are.