Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

HOW TO CORRECT A DIM INSTRUMENT PANEL ALUMINATIOM ON A 2001

Customer Question

HOW TO CORRECT A DIM INSTRUMENT PANEL ALUMINATIOM ON A 2001 SILVERADO.
IS THERE A WAY TO AJUST THIS OTHER THAN THE ROLLER SWITCH ON THE LIGHT PANEL?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

That's about it, the dimmer switch, unless of course there are bulbs burnt out. The "ILLUM" fuse in the fuse block is in between the dimmer switch and the instrument cluster bulbs. Measure the voltage at that fuse while moving the dimmer switch from dim to bright and make sure that the voltage varies according to the dimmer switch position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS THERE AN AJUSTMENT SCREW ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL HOUSING THAT WILL ALLOW RAISING THE BRIGHTNESS ?
COULD THE ROLLER SWITCH ON THE DASHBOARD BE WEAK AND NOT SEND FULL VOLTAGE ?
HOW MANY BULBS ARE OPERATED BY THE DIMMER SWITCH AND HOW DO YOU GET TO THEM
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

There are 6 bulbs in the instrument cluster. They are actually on the same circuit as some other bulbs, so if they all are dim, perhaps the dimmer switch is just plain bad. The other bulbs are 1 bulb for the air bag, 1 bulb for the fog lamp switch, 1 bulb for the selectable ride switch, 1 bulb for the roof beacon switch, 4 bulbs for the HVAC module, 1 bulb for the traction control switch and 2 bulbs for the transfer case control switch. So, are all of these the same brightness or dimness as the instrument cluster bulbs?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

here is the wiring diagram,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE ENTIRE PANEL IS DIM . COULD THERE BE ANY BULBS BURNED OUT ?
OR IS IT MORE PROBABLE THAT THE DIMMER SWITCH IS WEAK ?
CAN GET IT FROM THE DEALER FOR $ 104 . IS THERE A WAY TO TEST IT FIRST ? I HAVE A VOLT METER
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Like I said, test the voltage at that "ILLUM" fuse in the fuse block. It feeds all of those bulbs I mentioned from the dimmer switch.

Is the entire panel you are talking about just the bulbs in the instrument cluster or all of the bulbs on the instrument panel which some refer to as the dash. The instrument cluster is only the small part that has all the gauges, speedometer, etc.

What about all of those other bulbs I mentioned, they are all fed from the same dimmer switch nd "ILLUM" fuse. Are the instrument cluster bulbs just dim or out completely? Does anything happen at all when moving the dimmer switch from dim to bright?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DO NOT HAVE THE TRUCK HERE AT THE MOMENT .
WILL FOLLOW YOUR INSTRUCTIONS . AND CONTACT YOOU IF NEEDED . THANKS SO MUCH
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.