Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

One of my pulleys must be seized up because i keep snapping

Customer Question

One of my pulleys must be seized up because i keep snapping serpentine belts. How can i tell which one it is?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

with the belt off can you spin the water pump and alternator and power steering pulley and the tensioner pulley by hand easy ?

do all the pulleys look visually aligned ?

how long will it take to snap a belt ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to make it home to my tools to find out. Should've brought them with me. Parts store is closed and I'm waiting for a tow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a mass of rubber under the pulley to the right of my alternator. Is that probably the one?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how long did the belt last before it broke a new belt ?

the most common issue breaking belts in the belt tensioner itself bad and mis aligned or the pulley on it is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only took a couple minutes
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok first do a visual on the pulleys and see if any visually look crooked or bad if they look good all of them other than the crank pulley should turn by hand fairly easy any that are frozen up or crooked is the accessory that is bad causing this issue

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer !