Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I need to diagnose a code 67, quad driver 2 solenoid in my

Customer Question

Hello I need to diagnose a code 67, quad driver 2 solenoid in my 1995 Chevy truck. Where do we start.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** size engine do you have and what model truck? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.7 L. K series.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like either a problem with the PCM or wiring. Check the voltage at the transmission connector pin E for battery voltage with the key in the run position. If there is battery voltage at pin E, disconnect the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and then check for battery voltage at the PCM terminal E10 Tan/Black wire. If there is battery voltage on the Tan/Black wire with the PCM disconnected, plug the PCM back in and check to see if the voltage drops on the Tan/Black wire. If the voltage drops when the PCM is plugged in, replace the PCM. If the voltage is still low on the Tan/Black wire with the PCM disconnected, unplug the transmission connector and check the Tan/Black wire from the transmission connector pin T to the PCM terminal E10 for resistance or short to ground as there could be a problem with internal wire harness. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will check it out and get back with you soon Dan. I don't have internet at the garage so it may take me awhile. Thanks Steve.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I'll talk to you then. Thanks again and have a good day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan,I got called in on a side job and I just got back to working on the truck. I see the site is closed so if I have to pay again I will.I checked pin E with key on run position, it has 5 v.Pin L is the only one with battery voltage 12.7v. Thanks Steve.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Pin E was a pink wire? If so check to see if 20 amp trans fuse of location 20 on interior fuse box has 12v with key on. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan, pin E is tan and black and has 5.0v. Pin L is below pin E on the diagram and it is a pink wire with 12.2v. key in run position. Fuse # ***** on this truck is for trans but a 10amp with no voltage with key on either side of fuse. Thanks Steve.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I think your ignition switch has failed which sends this fuse power. There is a white wire that leaves ignition switch and goes to fuse, this wire should also have voltage with key on if not replace ignition switch. If so run a new wire between fuse box and switch. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I won't be able to check it until tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know. Thanks Steve.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan the white wire is dead from the switch. I will have a new one this afternoon. I will install it the evening. I will let you know. Thanks for your patience. Steve.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Good to hear, keep me updated. Thanks.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Dan, I replaced the ignition switch and i now have power at fuse 20. Hooked up the scanner and the same code comes on imediately. 67 quad driver 2 solenoid. I rechecked the voltage at pin e on the trans pigtail koeo and got 5.1 volts. Pin L still has battery voltage. Do I pull the trans pan? Thanks Steve.
Expert:  Dan replied 12 months ago.

Pin E should have 12v. Check to see if fuse has 12v, if so run new wire between fuse and transmission. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Dan I ran the wire from the fuse under the truck to pin E on the pigtail. I just hooked it to the wire going into the plug ,tan with black stripe. I did not attach the other wire going back up. I think we now have lockup.It seems to be the same rpm ( 1700 ) at 60 mph as my other 95 pickup. This is on jack stands.Still have code 67 and now a code 59 trans fluid temp high. What say you sir? Thanks.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Dan, I hope I didn't affend you. I just have so much going on here , I cannot get back to my truck as fast as I like. I was going to rate you when we are done but it won't let me. No hard feelings, Thanks Steve.