GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Im having a problem with a 2008 chevy impala starts and dies

Customer Question

im having a problem with a 2008 chevy impala starts and dies
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had a prior code for defective oil pressure switch. replaced it. scan for further codes, none. Fuel pressure okay 58psi, spark ok for about 3 seconds and cuts off. visual inspected, okay. fuses underhood and r/h footwell okay. reviewed data, ok. has crank rpm so i ruled out ckp. map sensor readings ok. MAF readings raise as it runs before stalls and looks good. cts normal reading. I was thinking passlock issue but light is not on. I tried the 30 min relearn anyway with no luck. tool i am using is the autel ds708 and looked at bcm for codes, none. theft deterrent mofule no codes too. it recognizes key as valid. but crank, starts for 3 seconds and dies. always. parameters for pcm and bcm looks fine. im stuck and need help thanks
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

hi there,

Im cam and ill try to help you in the right direction.

HAve you had a look at the throttle body yet?

These can bind up , since you have a scan tool you can look at the tp voltage 1 and 2.

you can also try a throttle body clean and relearn since you have a scan tool (if it has that feature).

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shucks i didnt notice if these are drive by wire. i am not at work yet but will remove duct, clean and visually inspect. also tp voltage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but does it sound like a passlock issue with the run and die consistently?

thats what came to mind at first, but your theft light isnt flashing.

the 30 min "ignition on" relearn doesnt always work either. some of these have a scanner initiated 10 min relearn only and the conventional method doesnt always work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you. ill inspect tb and get to you!

awesome.. let me know