Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

I just replaced the radiator in my 07 Impala SS. I got

Customer Question

Hi, I just replaced the radiator in my 07 Impala SS. I got everything put back together and now the car won't start. It won't even turn over-- no lights or anything. I checked all the connections and everything is secure. Also I didn't find any blown fuses.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
During the radiator replacement, I disconnected the cooling fans, pos and neg terminals from battery, and mass air flow sensor .. All of that is back together and secure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the battery is fine. I even tried jumping it with no luck
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, lets get you fixed up. First off it sounds to me like you have a problem with your connection to the battery. Can you remove both cables clean them extra good, clean the post take the positive and negative and rub them together, this will drain all modules and force a reboot. And then rehook and try it. IF it dont work, do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery terminals are both clean and free of corrosion. I touched the negative and positive cables together and tried to start it again with no success. I do have a voltmeter. I also checked the voltage at the starter and it's getting full power.

Okay so the car will not spin over lets start there with your voltmeter verify 12 volts on big cable, then with an assistant attempting to crank the car monitor the voltage on the purple wire, you should get 12 with key in start position

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The big red cable has 12v, but I get nothing in the purple wire when trying to start. I'm sticking the meter probe in the purple wire's plug, is that correct?

Yes you want to have the meter lead touching the purple wire or the solenoid pole which it attaches. And the fact that you have no power there is our problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes, I had the meter on the purple wire

I am thinking here about our next move, I am worried now it is the theft deterrent

If you got in the car turn the key and try to crank, nothing happens, motor does not spin over, if you release the key to run, what lights are on, what about security or theft light

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no security light, but the engine symbol is visible on the lower right side. This is the only thing. The odometer screen is also off. I plugged in my code reader under the dash, and I can't pull any codes.

Perhaps we have lost power to fuse box inside

take your voltmeter and check both sides of every fuse under the hood

Matter of fact start with battery and follow the trail of voltage to we find where we lose it. How about a ground wire, is it possible you left one off,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I visually inspected all of the engine fuses earlier and didn't find any blown ones. I'll recheck them first thing in the morning. Is there a way to check the starter relay to see if it's good? I confirmed there is continuity with the ohmmeter.

if you took the relay and put your ohmeter across terminals 30 and 87 it should be open, 85 and 86 should show some continuity around 10 ohms I believe, put your ohmeter back on 30 and 87 now take a set of jumper wires and put negative on one terminal and battery voltage on the other of 85 and 86 it doesnt matter which one is which when you put the ground and hot on 85 and 86 you should hear a click and your ohmmeter should read about .3 of an ohm. a relay is merely a remote controlled switch.

The fact that you have no communication at the obd connector and your display is blank i think we either have a power supply issue. Or I hate to tell you this, I have been doing some research on this, and there is a high reported failure of bcm on this car so much so that chevrolet has issued bulletins concerning so, and when I researched the repairs alot were when batteries were changed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked the fuses and relays. All were good

And you say u have no communication from a scanner, and did you ck the fuses with a voltmeter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct, and yes I used my ohmmeter to confirm the fuses were all good.

You checked them by checking for voltage on both sides of fuse right?

I have got to go work for a little bit,, If you checked all the fuses that way, it is not going to be something simple we have already eliminated that. But ifyou want I will walk you through how to diagnose, does your scannner work on the body control module and abs module and pcm

Is it okay I hit you back in couple hours

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the fuses, I pulled all of them out of the fuse box and tested for continuity with the ohmmeter. My code reader only reads the codes, it does not have a programming capability

Okay please go back and check voltage on each side of every fuse I want to know if we are losing power

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess leaving the battery disconnected did something because the car started today like normal. Thanks anyways for your assistance

Amen, if I have helped you please give me a positive rating