Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

2000 chevy express 2500 running very at startup this morning

Customer Question

2000 chevy express 2500 running very rich at startup this morning causing check engine to flash, if I unplug tps, or maf flash goes away
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a scanner? If not you can go to autozone and have codes read, To properly diagnose this we really need a scanner, Usually unplugging the maf and it runs better is an indication the maf is bad because when you unplug it the computer runs off a fixed value and since that is the only thing you unplug the rational is that well that's the problem. But you are saying you can unplug either one one at a time and the problem goes away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a scanner, and dont think I am suppose to drive the van if the check engine ends up flashing. I dont really have a rational, as I dont have experience with this van, and the engine is hard to get to. But yes If I unplug the tps, I get the solid check engine, limp mode first gear, but not flashing. If I unplug the maf same but dont know if it goes to limp as havent tried. It was find last night just acted up this morning.

Okay without a scanner any work or diagnosis we done would be firing the parts cannon. We need to know what the codes are and also the data, and you are correct do not drive if ligh is flashing. I am not sure how I can help you hear are you wanting to diagnose this yourself

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried and it will allow me to drive it, though rough, with the maf off, so I can get the codes pulled. Would you like me to send the codes to you in a bit when we retrieve them?

Yes please when you get there hook everything back up, have them scan it record the codes have him clear them see if any reset, and if you can give me the short term fuel trims at idle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said they couldn't give fuel trims. But they cleared the codes, ran the engine, light started flashing and got code 102 maf 122 tps and 300 random misfire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correction. those were the codes before clearing them. . After clearing the only code to show up was 300 random misfire

Okay lets assume the code from the maf and tps are were you disconnected them, and after clearing you had a po300. Does your engine have a flat distributor cap? you are in the year range were they changed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from what i can tell it is flat, 4 from one side 4 on the other

Okay, replace it and the rotor. That is the worst thing chevrolet ever done. I am willing to bet it is causing some if not all of your problem

get a good one, I like to use AC Delco, what happens is it crossfires inside and can cause all sorts of problems. It is easy to replace and I will bet you a box of doughnuts your good after that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hoping I will be able to get you a box of donuts. I will get the distributor cap replaced tomorrow, need some Torq heads. However does it change anything if the van is an 2002?

As long as you have the flat cap no, The vans were the last to receive the engine change. The ironic thing here is the next series of engines are arguably the most dependable ever made by man on this planet. But starting in 07 some of the worst ever. no sir put that cap and rotor on, and I like the variety box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Reggie. Your diagnosis was right on. How does just answer work, what do I do to give you kudos! And is there an address I can send a gift card for a Doughnut shop so I can buy your variety pack? Hell you got me back to work in less then a day, thanks to you

Sir thank you so much, I'm not sure how the site works. You can give me a bonus and a high rating, and the donuts 370 Woodley East Road

Ramer, AL. 36069

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect. I appreciate your advise, knowledge and professionalism. It is a shame your not in Arizona, I would definitely refer all my work and friends and family to you. Is there a way for family or friends to get you directly on just answer for gm and chevy issues?

Yes my name is***** just ask for me I believe and sir I can help you on pretty much all makes of vehicles working with people like you make this job rewarding. And if your ever in Alabama stop by well have a donut

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey that is awesome, my sons have a dodge caravan and another has a ford explorer which they will be working on very very soon, I will definitely have them get a hold of you, trust me they will need it..lol

Be sure and have them tell who recommended me so I can devote extra attention