Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

2006 2500HD Duramax/allison Turn key and nothing. no sound

Customer Question

2006 2500HD Duramax/allison Turn key and nothing. no sound nothing if I try a few times it starts batteries are good. ???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are the dash lights coming on at all when you turn on the key and are any other electronics acting up with this issue here at all?

Was anything done on the vehicle that may have caused this issue before this fault occured here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all dash lights come on nothing has been done to vehicle
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you hear any clicking noises under hood at all when trying to start the vehicle or any noises coming from inside the vehicle at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i do not
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this may be a fault with the starter relay itself.I have seen this relay fail several times before needing replaced.If it is acting up now try this,have someone tap on this relay while you try and start the engine.If it starts and runs then,this relay needs replaced.If it does not feel this relay while someone tries to start the truck and see if when they turn the key to start if this relay clicks.If it does click then this may be the starter solenoid on the starter at fault needing replaced (this is replaced as a complete starter assembly).Your starter relay is located in the under hood fuse panel and will be labeled on its location on the fuse panel lid where it is located.It is also seen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/skqormtjehrcqmu/start-11-20.gif?dl=0.

One other thing we can do is if you have a multi meter or test light we can test signals to pinpoint which component for sure is causing this here.If you want to go this route with testing let me know and we can continue.

There is also a slight chance this may be the electronic ignition switch at fault intermittently causing this as the start signal may not be sent from it intermittently,if the above tapping and relay checking does not work we will need to test this further electronically to pinpoint which is the cause here.If you do not have the tools to test this then someone that does will need to test the starter circuit.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the starter relay, no help So where is the starter???
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was of line this weekend.

The starter is located on the bottom area of the engine block towards the rear on the passenger side just above the engine oil pan.The starter solenoid is attached to the starter motor and is part of the starter itself as seen here.Let me know if you need anything else here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/weqw1frza6a0gic/starter-11-23.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete