BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

My 2012 malibu just failed the EVAP and 02 sensor test. I

Customer Question

My 2012 malibu just failed the EVAP and 02 sensor test. I have driven an additional 70 miles this morning, nothing. Carmax replaced the batter a few weeks ago so all codes were reset. So, now, I am trying to figure out how to get information to display so I can pass test.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My 2012 malibu just failed the EVAP and 02 sensor test. I have driven an additional 70 miles this morning, nothing. Carmax replaced the battery a few weeks ago so all codes were reset. So, now, I am trying to figure out how to get information to display so I can pass test.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. This is caused by the readiness monitors in the computer not being set. It can take up to 1000 miles for it to reset depending on how you drive. The best way to do it is to hold a high speed of 65 mph for about 30 minutes and then coast off of the freeway and try to get to under 10 mph without applying the brakes. Then turn the vehicle off and remove the key and then restart it and drive around town with a lot of stop and go driving with easy and hard acceleration mixed in. Do this while stopping about every 10-20 miles and turn the vehicle off and back on. If this does not reset it then it may have a module failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's a lot of driving, but I will do it tomorrow. I have a trip that's 500 miles one way, so 1000 miles in 24hrs should do it?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Just keep in mind that the driving has to vary and the car needs to be turned off and on several times.