Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

06 chevy sliverado loosing oil and anti freee but no sign of

Customer Question

06 chevy sliverado loosing oil and anti freee but no sign of leakage
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

How quickly would you say it looses oil?

And the antifreeze?

Which engine size do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.3 liter vortec v8
quart a week of both. I drive about 600 miles a week
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Are you seeing any smoke from the exhaust?

How many miles do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a little when I start it. 166368
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It's possible that the oil use is normal for the vehicle's age. One way to tell if it is just burning the oil through the engine would be to disconnect the PCV hose and start the engine. If vapors puff out of the PCV valve in the valve cover then the engine is worn and is probably going to burn oil fairly quickly.

Do you need a diagram showing where this hose is?

The coolant leak could be a result of a bad radiator cap. Sometimes a leaky radiator cap will vent off coolant mist and you will never see a leak. You can use a radiator cap pressure tester on the cap to see if it is bad. Most parts stores will lend you a tester.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

This engine occasionally will develop plugged valve cover oil baffles that don't allow the oil to drain down like it should and hold oil in the valve cover to be burned through the PCV. To test for this you will have to remove the valve covers and check for oil sludge:

1. Remove left valve cover, check for plugged PCV baffle drains.

2. When running the engine with the valve covers off the oil should be oozing from the push rods to the rockers not shooting out or over-oiling.

Also, the oil rings can stick to the pistons. Pour liquid carbon cleaner into each cylinder, let sit for 2-3 hours to free up stuck oil rings. Remove cleaner before cranking the engine with the spark plugs installed.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Expert:  Jared D replied 12 months ago.