Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2003 corvette and the gas gauge is going from full

Customer Question

I have a 2003 corvette and the gas gauge is going from full to empty. Yesterday it did it and the car just died. I did managed to get to the side of the rode, but wouldn't start after that
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like one or both of the fuel pumps is going bad. Because of the funky shape of the fuel tank, there are two fuel pumps; one that pumps fuel to the engine from the driver's side of the tank, and one that pumps fuel from the passenger side of the tank to the driver's side. If the passenger side pump goes bad then the engine will stall after all of the fuel on the driver's side is used up. This will make the gauge act wacky because it is trying to tell how much fuel is in the tank based on an average between the two sides of the tank. If one shows full and the other shows empty the gauge doesn't understand the signal and will rise and drop. Also if the driver's side fuel pump goes bad it can't pump fuel to the engine and it will stall. Coincidentally the gauge will often die when the fuel pump dies.

When you first turn the key to the run position you should be able to hear the fuel pump run for about 3 seconds. It's a fairly loud buzz from the rear of the vehicle. Can you hear the buzz?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't drive it, today, I'll check it when I get home
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Let me know if you need more info.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need additional information. I would love to help if you still need assistance.