Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Need to bypass theft system on 97 cavalier, base model,

Customer Question

Need to bypass theft system on 97 cavalier, base model, ignition is on steering column. I found the way to do it through wiring harnesses, but I can't seem to locate the bcm, or the wires its calling for.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

On this model there is not a BCM. Below is a link to the anti theft system wire diagram, can you tell me which wire your looking for?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/97cavlier.pdf

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type. The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

2) You have already been charged the full question value. Rating, good, bad, or not at all has no bearing on what you've paid.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation. If you can not rate me, please let me know why.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what I'm going off of as of now!Depending on the vehicle we will be looking for 3 wires bundled together their colours are either:(Group1)Red/White Yellow Black
(Group 2)Red/White Yellow Orange/Black
Remove the appropriate dash panels to get to the wire harness.
Locate the Pass Lock 2 Wires, they will be coming out of the ignition OR on the BCM they will be located in the grey connector, Pin A6 is your yellow wire, and pin B6 will be a black wire(they should be right beside each other).

I believe the procedure you have looked up does not apply to your vehicle since it has no BCM nor RD/WH wire or OG/BK wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As of now, I just need to get this thing on the road. I'm customizing a Saleem explorer and don't be able to drive it this cavalier is going to be my daily driver. Sadly I can't afford to take it to Chevy to fix it so here I am. Would the only other way be to do that?

Is the vehicle in a must bypass state, can it not be fixed to operate correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It could be I'm sure, it starts SOMETIMES but I figured bypass would be cheaper than a fix. All my money basically has gone into the other cars new engine and tranny and all that. So.

Can you try the tests in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/passlock.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well if you mean the three wires coming from the ignition switch. I have .1 mV I'm thinking this was a terrible buy haha.

Were you able to do test 1 in start and no start scenario?

None of these tests are on the ignition switch wiring, they are at the pass lock sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Idk what that looks like on this. This is my first Chevy EVER

The pass lock is the lock cylinder where you insert the key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then I was right and I'm only getting .1 mV

Not getting the correct voltage to the pass lock, means you have a faulty instrument cluster. The cluster sends the power to the sensor and receives the returned resistance signal.