Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

My 2005 Chev Impala was running fine the other night. the

Customer Question

my 2005 Chev Impala was running fine the other night . the next morning i started it up. the engine ran fine. I shifted in each gear after it did not go in reverse. it also would not move forward, in any gear.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

The first thing to check is fluid level and condition, it should be to the full mark on the dipstick with engine running, and fluid should be red and transparent. Also, does the shifter feel normal, or does it feel "loose" as you move it through the ranges?

If the fluid level is full, even if the condition is less than ideal, and the shifter feels like normal, there isn't much more you can do. If it won't move, the transmission is going to need work, probably an overhaul. There is no outward electrical component that will prevent transmission operation, even if all electrical circuits are disconnected, the transmission should still have reverse and one forward gear.

If fluid is full and the shifter cable is not damaged/disconnected, you're going to need a transmission repair shop.