Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

How do I service my stabilitrak problem.Where can I find the

Customer Question

how do I service my stabilitrak problem.Where can I find the fuse for the stabilitrak which is malfunctioning
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting a light on the dash that says service stabilitrak?

This usually indicates a problem with one or more speed sensors, the steering angle sensor, a transmission control sensor, or the 4wd system.

There is no fuse that you could pull which would get rid of the message since it is coming from communication signals from your Body Control Module and Power Control Module. The first thing to do to fix it will be to have the vehicle scanned with a scan tool to check for trouble codes which indicate which portion of the system is triggering the service indicator. Most parts stores will do this for free.

Once you have the diagnostic trouble codes we can start narrowing down where to look for the problematic part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going to autozone to scan and will get back to you
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the code reads P0856 Traction control input signal
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Is the vehicle a Tahoe or Silverado?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The P0856 code is not common. It's usually caused by a wiring issue somewhere. Depending on which model it is, I can tell you how to pull the communication connector and check it for corrosion and then re-seat it. I have seen countless p0856 codes cleared by just unplugging the connector, blowing out the dust and then reconnecting it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me. I m not sure where the comm connector is. what do i look for ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is for a 2007 Chevy express with a 6.0 engine
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The connector that leads to the under good fuse box can be removed and checked for corrosion right at the fuse box. Sometimes water will get in there and cause a poor connection. I can't find a good diagram of the fuse box with the connectors installed, but I'm pretty sure it's labeled as #5 on this one. Disconnect the battery first to avoid accidental shorts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I unplugged a large multi-terminal plug that was outside the fuse box and had a swing arm stirrup as a keeper like 20 or more wires in this one, and did the same to a 12 wire plug inside the fuse box under the hood. after battery disconnect. Didnt see any other in close proximity. Result after test drive was no change. stabilitrak and anti lock brakes interrupt drive mostly at take off and slow down
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Are the brakes activating?

You might have a short to ground that is causing false activation.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please don't forget to rate. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.