GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Have a chevy Malibu with remote start and they bought it

Customer Question

Have a chevy Malibu with remote start and they bought it used and want the remote start to work, Neverworke on one so ca you help us with this problem or what to look for. Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

Are you/the customer familiar with how the remote start system works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not and I am sure they are not either.

OK, that's fine, I just wanted to walk you through that before we get too far ahead.

You have the factory remote transmitter, yes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is

OK, first of all, if the check engine light is on when the car is running, the remote start system will be disabled.

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the car, press and release LOCK, then press and hold the START button for two seconds. Lights should flash to acknowledge, and car should start up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we did that and there is no check engine light and did as you said and no lights came on either

Does the fob lock and unlock the doors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but you have to work it a couple times to get them to work but they will work

When you lock the doors, you have to press and hold START within two seconds. Are you getting a light flash to let you know the doors are locked? And then are you able to get hold the START button and you're not getting any lights or anything in response to the START button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok you press lock and the lights flash on and the horn honks but nothing when you push start

OK, you'll need to test that FOB. There are different ways to test it, GM dealers have a tester for this purpose, but I also have a TPMS tool that will test fobs. Do you have a tool that will test the outputs of that transmitter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a MaxiTPMS ts 401 but I just use it for tires

I understand. I don't think that will work for testing a transmitter.

Does the customer have the second transmitter that came with the car? Or, are you able to just source a new transmitter? It sounds like the start button is not transmitting, you should at least get a light flash to acknowledge the start button, even if the car doesn't start.