Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

97 suburban. iintermittent starting problem. this morning

Customer Question

97 suburban. iintermittent starting problem.
this morning there was no power to the key. no lights, nothing. thought battery was dead, but fiddled with key from on to accessory a couple times, got lights back. starter cranked, but did not start. pushed car to a safe area, tried key again, it started. Started a dozen times after as well.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

The first step is definitely to check those cable connections thoroughly, despite the fact that they've been replaced, a loose cable will definitely give you this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already checked for loose cables. At the battery and grounds to frame.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
paid 38 dollars, does that get me more than one response from you regarding this problem?

I'm sorry, I ran into a technical issue and could not respond.

As I said, loose cable connections, and you have to follow those connections to where they go, at the fuse box as well.

If the problem still persists, when the truck is acting up, I would use a test light and test all of the fuses, with the key ON, to see which fuses have power and which ones don't. If you can identify a group of fuses that do NOT have power, I can see what the common link is between them. It's likely that you'll find a group of fuses that do not have power.

Ignition switch problems on these trucks are common, and I think that's where you're going to end up. Finding fuses with no power going to them would point in the direction of the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do this if it acts up again. Does this question stay open for me to respond to you with further information?

Yes, you can respond here any time. Again, I'm sorry about the delay, I was able to see that you responded, but could not enter any text until I worked out the issue. I am happy to follow up with you and reach resolution.

-Jerry

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. I will confirm tight battery cable connections and follow power wires to ECM when I get home.

Excellent, look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All battery cables are clean and tight. Cleaned lug at the back of under hood fuse box. Checked all fused. Ground at water neck in front if engine is secure as well as the ground at passenger side bottom of
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine

Is it still starting OK, or is it acting up again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still starting fine. Like nothing is wrong. Could you give me a checklist of things to check with multimeter when it acts up again. Going to drive it to work all week to see if I can replicate.

The big thing for me is what I already mentioned: when it's acting up, are there groups of fuses that have no power? I would carry a test light, and just run that test when it acts up, on the underhood fuse block as well as the one on the end of the dash. There has to be some power issue, and I am suspecting an ignition switch, if you're sure it's not a cable connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll keep you informed.
The ignition switch is a year old.

Noted. Getting this to act up is key, then doing some quick diagnostics before it "stops" acting up.