GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71, with about 106K on it... it

Customer Question

Good evening... I have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71, with about 106K on it... it has had an issue since almost day one and it has been getting much worse. The issue is that the traction control has been going on when starting from a dead stop, in dry weather. It is now starting to make noise and causing a pulsing in the pedals, steering, with a complete loss of power when it is activated... the one way around it is to push/activate the traction control button. Firestone has stated that one way to possibly repair it is to replace the front wheel hubs, but it may not address it... I was also doing a bit of research and note that there have been some issues with throttle bodies, which may be tied in with the electronics of the traction control system.
Thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can i get your first name please?

This sounds like a weak ABS sensor. When it gets weak, it can send a signal that mimics the signal of a stopped tire so it makes the traction activate. This will not usually set an ABS light since the sensors is still physically intact and the resistance is to spec, but since it drops off, this is the result. The way to find it is watch the valving on a scan tool and see which are activating. given the age, have you replaced any front wheel bearings yet?

This is not related to the tire system. That system uses the remote control door lock receiver which is in the passengers door switch. The valve stems have the sensors in them.

Also to get the traction activating does not at all include the throttle body. Throttle issues would not make the pedal pulsate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Cam,I'm Eliot. To say that I am frustrated with this is an understatement... it is now at a point where I am uncomfortable with the thought of my wife driving it and getting "stuck" in an intersection, which it has done with me, unless I push the Traction Control button.

I can understand Eliot. With this issue, the hard part is determining which one is causing it. if you cannot find any play in the wheel bearings then you may try turning sharp in a parking lot either way and see if one way makes it act up more. If this does not change it, then if you can do the work yourself, try changing one front hub. Because they are not side specific, see if the one corrects it. If not, put it in the other side and re-evaluate the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The comment about the throttle body was something that popped up on some of blogs on traction control issues. The best description that I have of the sound is a "groaning" and pulsing of the wheel/pedals. It is much more pronounced in making low speed left hand turns.

Ok, that tells me that your left wheel speed sensor/hub is weak. In a left turn, the left wheel is going slower than the rest and that is made worse in a left turn. I suggest you replace the left front wheel bearing assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is definitely a total/complete loss of power when it is activated and it does not mater how much accelerator that I apply. Alternating between gingerly applying and letting off of the pedal does not resolve the issue. Pushing the TC button does resolve the matter...

Yes, that fits. This is because its disabling the traction control system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so what's the estimated "cost" for replacing the hub? And, shouldn't one replace both hubs at the same time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I have not replaced any bearing as of yet.

They are about 300 each and about an hour to change. I would only do the left side.