GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevy 1500 Silverado someone attempted to steal broke

Customer Question

chevy 1500 Silverado someone attempted to steal broke steering column. A mechanic said he needed to replace entire steering which he did that came with the key. The truck starts and cuts off immediately. I was then told a lock smith needs to program key to truck. Truck never had a smart chip or that type of key. The problem with the truck wanting to start and doesn't was happening prior to the attempted theft. Please advise
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. You do need to program the new column to your vehicle, but I have great news, this you can do on your own. Follow the steps outlined below and it will do this.

Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run.
Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span.
After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again.
It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned.

During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.