GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I didn't the rear yoke/pinion retainer what can I do to get

Customer Question

Hi I didn't mark the rear yoke/pinion retainer what can I do to get it to go back on
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

You took the yoke off to replace the pinion seal, is that what's going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I got the seal put in and everything but the yoke slides almost all the way on but stops with 1/4 of a inch or less tell it's all the way on

When you tighten the pinion nut, that should tighten up the yoke and take the play out, yes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't butt up to the rear end all the way like it should even if u tighten the pinion nut it won't suck it all the way onto the shaft

What are you tightening the nut with? An air tool or just by hand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Air tool

Sometimes the outer pinion bearing gets a little weird and wants to try to go on a little cockeyed. That's the only thing that comes to mind on this, is that the bearing isn't sitting right for some reason. But, it shouldn't have come off the shaft of the pinion.

You just put the seal in, no other parts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I just put the seal in does it matter that only one side of the back is jacked up

That shouldn't make any difference at all. You didn't disassemble the differential or anything like that, right? There's not a need to even take the cover off the differential or lose any substantial amount of fluid.

Typically, the nut comes off, the yoke comes off, the seal comes off. New seal, reinstall yoke, tighten to previously made marks, or at worst, go slow on it with the impact until the yoke bottoms out (the air tool will simply stop moving the nut at the point where the yoke, bearing, and crush sleeve are all against each other).

Did you remember to put the washer under the nut?