AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

My 2008 Suburban decided not to start 2 times today. No

Customer Question

My 2008 Suburban decided not to start 2 times today. No gauge lights, no head lights, didn't crank, 4 way flashers didn't work. First time it happened I turned the key off and back on and it started right up. All lights worked. Second time I was at my tire shop. Seemed like a dead system. Shop put booster on battery. Nothing. No lights, no dash, no crank. Got a mechanic in 5 minutes. Came back. Started right up like nothing was wrong. Has started 4 more times without problems. Any thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
245000 miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery seems fine - it's about 1 year old. Cranks fast when it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heard faint clicking sound for a few seconds when the system seemed dead the second time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried the normal stuff...turn the steering wheel, tilt the steering wheel, wiggle key, press brakes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to move the shift lever, etc. Forgot to swear at it or pray for it.
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

When this happened, there was absolutely no power anywhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. No dash. 4 way flashers didn't turn on. Headlights wouldn't turn on. These normally work with the key out I think.

Ok. If there was no power anywhere in the truck, then it's most likely a loose cable connection. Have all the connections been thoroughly checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the tire shop put their booster on it, it bypassed the connections at the battery since it had good clip on connections.

or even just a bad connection. I have seen very tight connections that have been intact for years suddenly stop conducting power and needed to be removed and cleaned.

Usually the problem is the ground at the vehicle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a reminder. It has started normally several times after this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to check the ground wire connection away from the battery. Any other thoughts?

I would first remove the ground, clean it up with a wire brush and re install it.

I have kept that in mind, but a bad connection can cause an intermittent problem. If you have no power anywhere in the truck when this happens, then it's almost definitely a bad connection. If it were a bad ignition switch, or harness damage, etc. then there would be power somewhere.

The ground cable at the vehicle is where I would start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree. Do you have any experience with the "brain" module going bad? Would that affect all power? Such as the 4 way flashers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll wire brush the connection and check the battery connections.

The ground cable at the vehicle is where I would start. it's free, easy and a common issue. We do see it often.

There are no modules, including the PCM that could fail resulting in a loss of power to the entire truck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I'll check the wires in the morning.

Do you live in an area that has shown the truck 245k of salty roads and snow by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The frame looks more rusty than my previous Suburban. I think the owner lived on a gravel road also. The body seems in good shape. Very minor rust.

Ok. Clean the ground cable real good, and the surface of the vehicle to make sure we are getting a very good ground. I honestly am very suspicious of that. I spent almost my entire career in the midwest, and saw this often.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.

Great! Please let me know what you come up with. I usually respond pretty quickly as it goes to my phone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. how do I contact you tomorrow? From an email I think I will get?

You can message me right from here. I think in your email there is a link to get back to it if you can't log in. Not positive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'm headed to bed now.
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jim. What did you find out?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It seems to have been the big fuse box under the hood. I replaced it and haven't had that problem since.

Wow, i'm surprised a blown fuse would cause an intermittent loss of power. It must have been a bad connection in the fuse box that was corrected by pulling and installing the fuse. At any rate, I'm glad it's figured out. Thanks for responding!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It wasn't a fuse, it was the fuse box's connections to the wires below. Corrosion at the main B+ power supply point.

OH, I misread. Figured it had to be a bad connection due to corrosion. Such symptoms usually are. Glad it's fixed.

Thanks for the reply and merry christmas!