Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Small rubber hose on top of my Chevy 2004 express 1500 van

Customer Question

Small rubber hose on top of my Chevy 2004 express 1500 van has become detached. What does it do?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I need a little more info to assist better.

With the engine running do you feel any air flow through it at all or any suction on it at all?Do you hear any hissing in the engine bay area at all with the engine running?Is this hose in the engine bay area?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not tried. I just saw the hose dragging on the ground, got under and looked around and saw what looks like a nipple and a small bracket the holds the hose in place
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does calling work better?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is there any way you can take a picture of this hose and upload it here of the hose itself and the bracket and then a picture of the location of this hose on your vehicle?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will take a few...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if you can do this,this will help for sure.Let me know either way.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will take picture within five minutes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,I will be here.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I have sent the offer you requested.We can work on the offer proposed or continue here if you like just let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Continue here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Soon please! Running out of daylight...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is this a 2wd or 4wd model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2w
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this issue or any running or shifting issues at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this looks to be a possible vent tube from the top of the transmission.At the top of the transmission look for a nipple that this hose pushes onto.It can slip off.If there is a bracket hanging with this issue here the bracket may have broke free or bolts may have been left loose if any transmission work was done.See if you can find a nipple/fitting to slip this hose onto on the top side or very top back or mid section of the transmission.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did u see the pics I sent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need 200 miles to get home. How will this affect my ride and future transmission performance?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I did,all I can see is a large diameter hose.This size hose if it isn't leaking any fuel and if it just fell of is usually the transmission vent hose,check the bottom rear section of the transmission or mid section of the transmission on both the drivers and passengers side to see if this is where the hose came off from.If left alone you risk leaking transmission fluid from the vent tube on the transmission when driving it.I can't say this will happen but it is possible.And it could be allot of fluid if pressure builds up in the transmission causing transmission slipping and shifting issues.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There seems to be a vertical placed nipple on passengers side of tranny and a small wire bracket on top of the housing itself. Would it be safe to assume that the hose goes over the top of the housing through the wire bracket then fitted on the nipple on the other side?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a picture of this nipple and upload it here?Does it look like something came off of this nipple possibly this hose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to see but it sits right around the middle rear of the casing
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your picture didn't come in very clear I don't see the nipple in it?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to locate a better picture of your transmission myself for this vent but not having the best of luck yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shoot! Can we make a guess wether I should reattach it or drive the 200 miles home to my mechanic?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If it looks like there is something missing from it like the hose was attached to it (usually it will be cleaner looking then the rest of the transmission if the hose was attached to it then I would say yes this is where the hose attaches to.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I would reattach it before driving this far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The nipple is cleaner
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,most likely this is where the hose slipped off of.Re attach the hose and secure the hose so it doesn't slip onto the ground and drag and you should be fine to drive home from there then once home have it inspected by the mechanic.

Thanks Pete