GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

02 Duramax, driving at 70mph the engine shut off. No other

Customer Question

02 Duramax, driving at 70mph the engine shut off. No other issue apparent. No ngine light, all gauges read fine. Fuel system is primed And stays primed. Manual fuel pump stays firm. No air in fuel. Cranks just fine but won't even try to start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am cam. Do you have any codes stored in the computer?

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you even read my post???? No, as i stated in the original post, no engine light is on. No check engine light, no check engine codes. Yes the light is functional.

That is concerning then as the check engine light mist be on when turning the key on. So then we need to see if the ecm is still alive and getting power. Is there a chip installed? Also you state very clearly there no codes, does it connect then to the network to read codes? If you unplug the mass air flow sensor does it set a mass air flow sensor code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try. The check engine light comes on with the key, then goes off as usual. I scanned for codes using a high end code reader but not quite as high end as a tech 2 or versus. I'll create a code and double check it to establish good communication with the ECM

Ok. Also does your scanner show things like the cranking rpm, fuel pressures and stuff like that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no, just fault codes.

Ok if the ECM is alive then I would be thinking possibly a bad connection at the 2 large connectors on the valve cover or possibly even a failed fuel injection control module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check the main Injector connections and everything looks great. Created a MAF code just fine so communication is good

Ok has it been acting odd recently? Low power? Hard start when hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing its done is:
I had a banks programmer, when I turn it up to the highest setting and try to make max power it doesn't want to deliver enough fuel. I have removed the programmer and the trucks great, obviously less powerful without the programmer but no issues for around 1000mi. Untill this current issue with it dieing and not starting.The old fuel issue only acted up on max tune during W.O.T. but I took the whole banks 6 gun unit off the truck (~1000mi ago) because I didnt want it to hurt anything and I was going to send it to banks for repare/replace but just haven't got around mailing it off yet

Ok. When you crank it, is there any smoke at all from the pipe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No smoke

Is it making oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope oil is great. I went thru the whole making oil issue when I had bad Injectors. Replaced those around 10k mi ago

Ok, we really need to see what the actual fuel rail pressure is. I guess injectors are not top of my list again. Starting to lean to the fuel module but I'm not comfortable suggesting it unless we get more hard data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very true. Well I'll get back on it in the morning and get back to you

ok