Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

07 AVALANCHE, won't turn over. Starter is strong, battery is

Customer Question

07 AVALANCHE, won't turn over. Starter is strong, battery is fully charged with good connections. Door locks do not work, gauges do not move at all during on/off/start. No power at fuses for, locks, starter, crank. What could it be??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What exactly do you mean by "turn over"? Some people actually mean engine starting but I refer to turning over as the starter turning the engine over.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Also, what engine is in this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.3l and turn over means starter to flywheel is no action.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, give me a minute to get the wiring diagram.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I have the starter wiring diagram. That STRTR fuse doesn't have voltage to it until the relay is activated.

Let me get the power dist wiring now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did swap the relay around with 2 of the other relays and nothing also
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Let's start by checking for voltage to the DLIS fuse #34 at the left side engine compartment. It feeds the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good ...with key on has power
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If that has no power (all the time) check the mega fuse 175a.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

These are some real confusing wiring diagrams. I could look through them and ask you to check this fuse and that fuse. I have a better idea. Why not just check all of the fuses to begin with.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here is the wiring diagram for the door locks though. look at all the fuses just for it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Also, remove the starter relay and check for voltage in the socket. One spot should be hot all the time. If not, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ddm dim bcm all have good fuses with power. door lock/unlock 1 and 2 have no power. #30 on relay has power
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't know which pin is #30. What about the starter relay socket test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30 is 1 of the 4 pins on the relayitsself. It is hot. The other 3 pins have no power
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What about the starter relay socket test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The prior statement is for the starter relay socket. If there is another relay I should be testing besides the starter relay socket...please advise.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Oh, ok. Then the starter relay does have power. Ok, let me look at that diagram again.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Does the STRTR fuse have voltage when the key is turned to start?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I am going to assume it doesn't.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I think at this point you should retrieve the codes from the bcm and ecm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Starter 40 amp fuse has no power. I did jump power to it earlier and the starter turned over. ObdII to check those codes?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, OBDII. Do you have a scan tool or code reader or know of anyone with one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to locate one before opening this question. I can buy one at an auto parts dealer but I don't know if it will be capable of pulling more than check engine codes...suggestions?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Even before that. Is the security light remaining on? Ignition ON, view the security indicator. The security indicator should not remain illuminated after the vehicle bulb check has completed.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yah, I have a code reader and it only retrieves the ecm/pcm codes and cannot get into the bcm. You will probably need a scan tool for that and they are expensive, the reason I don't have one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother has the old snap on ObdII, he is unavailable. I'm hoping it will work and that he left it at home. Are you familiar with it and if so will it work? How long will this conversation let us communicate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the traction control, check engine and abs lights are on.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

This post should stay open for 7 days. Yes that scan tool should work.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know hen you get your hands on that scan tool and if you don't know how to use it and retrieve the codes from both the bcm and ecm, let me know what model number Snap On scan tool it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After the vehicle has sat for a while, when I turn the ignition to on, there is about a 10 second d delay before indicated lights come on. After that they come on immideatly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Hopefully you will here from me soon.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got a engine code u0140 ...."lost common with body control system (symptom 00)" I can't read anything from the bcm
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

There is a tsb out on u0140 and

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get that tsb?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

This post is going to close tomorrow at 3:58pm, did you still need help with this?